OHSAS 1800:2007 Occupational, Health and Safety Management Certification is an internationally standard which provides a framework to identify, control and decrease the risks associated with health and safety within your company. Implementing the standard will send a clear signal to your stakeholders that you view employee’s health and safety as a principal priority within your company.
What is OHSAS 18001
OHSAS 18001 is an internationally recognised occupational, health and safety management system series standard. The OHSAS 18001 standard is based on the similar ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 Plan – DO – Check – Act structure. To achieve certification to OHSAS 18001 an organisation must have a health and safety management system compliant with the requirements of the OHSAS 18001 standard. The standard also requires a company to have appropriate health and safety policies, procedures and protocols to ensure it is a safety conscientious organisation.
How to establish an OHSAS 18001 Occupation health and safety management system?
- Formulate an Occupational, Health and Safety Management System (OHSMS) with the establishment of an occupational, health and safety (OHS) manual in which the scope of OHSMS is determined
- Establish an occupational, health and safety policy and OHS objectives and programmes
- Ensure document and record control
- Implement and maintain a procedure to identify hazards, assess risk and determine controls in the work place
- Maintain procedures to ensure applicable occupational, health and safety legislation is identified, communicated within and compliance assessed
- Define resources, roles, responsibilities, accountability and authority with regard to the OHSMS
- Implement an adequate occupational, health and safety communication, participation and consultation process
- Maintain good operational control
- Plan emergency preparedness and response
- Meet strict criteria in relation to incident investigation
- Identify and deal with OHS non conformities by applying corrective and preventative action
- Monitor and measure the occupational, health and safety performance of the organisation
- Audit the system and review the system at a management level periodically
Benefits of OHSAS 18001
Certification to OHSAS 18001 occupational health and safety management systems signals to your clients and stakeholders that your organisation is committed to protecting the needs of all your stakeholders.
Benefits of OHSAS 18001 Certification – Health and Safety Certification
- Improved corporate image and credibility among stake holders, regulators, customers, prospective clients and the public
- Adoption of international best practice in relation to risk management
- Ensures health and well-being of employees, sub-contractors and the public
- Minimisation of liability of employers through adoption of proactive rather than reactive controls
- Ensures legislative awareness and compliance
- Reduces accident and incident rates by reducing and elimination workplace hazards
- Improves the incident investigation process
- Increases employee motivation through the provision of a safer workplace and participation process